The only elementary prevention curriculum that’s proven to increase children’s awareness of how underage alcohol use affects the brain.
This evidence-based, NREPP-recognized curriculum is a unique collaboration between MADD and Hazelden. It draws on the latest research to make understanding
brain development accessible and enjoyable beginning with first grade. Here’s what else makes PY/PM unique:
- It focuses on the child and not on the substance.
- It stresses the difference between how alcohol affects adults and how alcohol affects youth.
- It begins early, before the onset of alcohol use.
- As a universal prevention program, PY/PM is designed to reach large numbers of students, not just those at high risk for alcohol use.
- The Lessons
Eight lessons are repeated sequentially for each grade level. Content is reinforced from year to year as it parallels student cognitive and social development. The lessons include
- Our Brain
- Growth and Development
- Health and Safety
- Rules and Laws
- Choices and Decisions
- Media Awareness
Students who have received PY/PM show
- a 51% increase in vehicle safety skills, such as refusing a ride with a driver who
has been drinking
- a 56% increase in knowledge of alcohol’s effects on brain development
- a 9% increase in awareness of media messages about alcohol
Learn more about this program online at hazelden.org/pypm.